Third Service Appointment

My Model X, Pensive, locked-up twice on my trip in this morning. The first was as I was leaving, so I needed to wait a couple minutes such that I could close my garage door. The second was about ten minutes away from the service center, around 7:06 (the screen was frozen at 7:07), which I only noticed when I looked-up for direction at a fork in the road (I took the wrong path, but the ETA reduced by three minutes; go figure). I ended-up here, at the Dedham service center at 7:15, unloaded my car, and went inside at 7:16. It's now my scheduled appointment time (7:30), and I've yet to see anybody in either the showroom or the reception area of the service department. I made myself some hot chocolate in the Keurig (which actually tastes like you'd expect Swissmiss hot chocolate to taste; the Keurigs we have at work make everything taste like coffee). Both at my first service appointment and at my second, I was greeted quickly by somebody outside. Today, there was no clear parking spot (all spots were full, I'm guessing end-of-month deliveries as I parked behind a shiny blue Model 3) and nobody had been in yet to clear snow off of the parked vehicles.

Empty service center

I couldn't find an employee anywhere at my scheduled time.

Remote Diagnostics

There is no obvious way to know when someone from Tesla (or anyone else, for that matter) is accessing your car remotely. Internally, some of the computers are basically little different from a home personal computer running a version of GNU/Linux, which is the reason the Web browser is as capable as it is (when it's working): Tesla could leverage the open source PC browsers.

Last night, I got another email from the service center, although I didn't see it since it was during my children's bed-time routine and I never got back to my computer last night. The Tesla Model X tries to connect to any WiFi signal it can, even if it's not very good; in this case it was connecting to a faint public network and it was interfeering with a tech who was, from the eMail, attempting to do remote diagnosis. The eMail asked for me to disable the WiFi in the vehicle; when I got in I noticed that WiFi had in fact been disabled.

I'm still getting used to the fact that I am driving a lethal vehicle where someone remote can, at will, essentially assume control. It's bad enough that the car can overrule what I'm saying at any given time. It's now 7:40, and I have yet to see anybody in the service center; inconsistent service is something, on the other hand, that I have gotten used to with Tesla.